The CryptoTelemetry firmware:
Due to the proven vulnerability of current telemetry modules, I’ve developed something significantly stronger.
The source is not open, because it’s not real strong, certificate-based encryption, that allows end-user to replace, create new certificates. One advantage of doing it this way, is that you can purchase more radios and add them without having to reprogram all.
The secrets are permanently stored inside, and opening the source would give glues of possible attack vectors. I intended this to be a long time viable, secure solution.
Still – the owner have the option to get more radios that will work with his private network.
- 433,470,863,915Mhz support.
- Fully compatible with all ground station configuration tools. All the common AT commands and parameters are there, there’s even a NetID that will let you make different networks within your encrypted network – should you wish. Example, if you have 4 CryptoTelemetry radios, you can have 3 in different UAV’s , all have the same network ID, and will speak to the same GCS, typical use is “one at a time”. Or you can set two radios with NetID different than the others, and use two GCS and two UAV simultaneously. – Note that no non-CryptoTelemetry radios will be able to communicate with these radios.
- Locked down firmware, even if one malicious customer purchased it for analysis, it would be hard to learn anything from it. – Then it would take some time to find your encryption key.
- Personal encryption key. (most tend to be 11digits) Only the customer will have the key, it is NOT stored here. To order more radios for the same network, it’s essential to provide the key so a properly encrypted firmware for your radio can be generated.
- Your radios will operate in your network, no one else will be able to see the data, or encrypt without some extensive cryptanalysis and hacking.
- Encryption can be disabled by disabling ECC – radios enter then a transparent mode, which is 2x the usual ECC data rate.
- Efficient; the data rate is the the same as ECC, (half of the non-ECC speed.)
- ECC (Golay24) is still active, for every 12bit , up to 3 bit errors can be corrected.
- Delivered on standard, authentic, genuine 3DR telemetry radios.
- If customer provides radios, it can be flashed onto a several other/compatible radios.
- Reversible – should this method be obsolete one day, it is fully possible to convert these radios to run official 3DR provided firmware.
I am using this firmware for all my commercial operations as well as hobby flights, it is well tested.
Get your radio reprogrammed with CryptoTelemetry ($85):
Buy new original 3DR Radio with CryptoTelemetry ($135):