RC, PWM control for QX1.
Buy QX1 modification service ($150)
Sony ILCE-QX1 has great specifications at low weight, which makes it good for UAV photogrammetry use. It can be configured using WiFi , then retain the configuration. (so it’s not necessary to even enable wifi for each operation.
About the modification:
The pop-up flash assembly is removed, an microcontroller replaces the flash assembly, it’s interfacing the motherboard indirectly, via FPC. The flash cover is slightly cut to make space for the servo (PWM input) and logic level output that indicates shutter operation.
Can reliably do manual-focus shoot every 700ms. (no drops)
The camera will continue to function normally as before when the PWM interface is not supplied with power, except for the flash.
The modification requires micro-soldering; most narrow are three points within 1mm distance. Naturally, it voids camera warranty. (so test camera well before getting it modified.)
Features of the modification:
- Camera will not shut down when inactive..
- 3-wire servo connector (PWM input)
- 1-wire logic output (high on shutter) -allows precise GPS positioning of each photo, and confirmation to the AP that photo is taken.
- Command “Shoot” (just trigger a photo, for preset/manual focus)
- Command “autofocus for 500ms, then shoot”
- Command “autofocus for 1s, then shoot”
Suggested ArduPilot setup:
CAM_DURATION = 1
CAM_FEEDBACK_PIN (set to correct input)
CAM_FEEDBACK_POL = 1
CAM_MIN_INTERVAL = 300
CAM_SERVO_ON = 1000
CAM_SERVO_OFF = 1500
CAM_TRIGG_TYPE = 0
990us … 1400us = Shoot instantly (manual focus)
1401us … 1600us = Idle
1601us … 1800us = autofocus 0.5s , shoot
1801us … 2200us =autofocus 1s , shoot
I can convert your camera, or buy+modify one.
Contact for more information.